Want to get involved in watch collection, but do not know where to start? Follow these ten suggestions to start your journey of watch collection.
In addition to personal taste, the two most important factors to consider when buying (and selling) a second watch are Make and Condition. Production quality depends not only on the watchmaking brand, but also on the production method and retouching process. Of course, according to common sense, some brands always do better than others. In the second watch market, high transaction prices often come from brands such as Patek Philippe, Rolex, Audemars Piguet, Vacheron Constantin and Cartier. There are also many other brands whose names appear less frequently, but the watches they make are also exquisite, but they are mostly produced recently, so they have not spread in the secondary market.
When participating in the auction of large-scale auction houses specializing in watches and clocks, you can refer to the lot condition report and expert market valuation
When participating in the auction of large-scale auction houses specializing in watches and clocks, you can refer to the lot condition report and expert market valuation. Specials may be available from smaller auction houses, but be sure to check in advance. Some traditional brick-and-mortar retailers set up a second watch area and set up a website to take inventory, of course, they are mainly new products. Online shopping through collectors’ websites and major online shopping platforms has become increasingly popular, but there are some caveats. Here are ten suggestions for novice watch collectors:
Patek Philippe Nautilus Ref. 3700/031 platinum watch set with 128 top Wesselton diamonds, estimated at 500,000-800,000 Swiss francs, sold for 631,500 Swiss francs
Vacheron Constantin gold watch, produced in 1951, estimated 5,000-10,000 Swiss francs, 10,625 Swiss francs
First, read carefully the auction catalogues of large auction houses such as Antigoron, Christie’s, Sotheby’s, and Filize. In this way, you can better track the dynamics of the auction house, understand the new product categories in the second-hand market, and search for cost-effective transactions that replace old ones. The complex timepieces of Patek Philippe, Vacheron Constantin, Audemars Piguet, and some specific models of other brands (such as Rolex), the auction price may reach hundreds of thousands (USD) or even higher, but there are also low starting prices in auction or online purchase For under $ 1,000. If the model does not have an impressive source (not owned by a celebrity), does not have extraordinary complexity, is not limited to production and distribution, but is simply a personal favorite, then it is likely to start at a low price.
2. Establish a good relationship with authorized dealers. When your favorite brand releases a limited edition watch and you just want to get one, an authorized dealer will provide you with inside information.
Third, understand the seller. Experienced collectors are good at buying online, but before that, you need to contact an authorized dealer to get a deeper understanding of the brand and model. Read the ‘Buyer’s Attention’ section of the blog and the comments on the second watch seller on the website. Collectors often remind each other of unscrupulous dealers.
4. Before buying a second watch, please understand if it can be repaired. Some brands, such as Patek Philippe, Blancpain, Glashütte Original, and Breguet, can provide identification and repair services; others, neither repair nor provide parts for antique watches, especially when the models are modified.
Rolex Cosmograph Daytona ‘Paul Newman Oyster Sotto’ stainless steel watch, produced in 1969, estimated at 750,000-1,500,000 Swiss francs, sold for 1,985,000 Swiss francs
Rolex Explorer stainless steel watch, produced in 1959, estimated at 7,000-9,000 Swiss francs, sold for 12,500 Swiss francs
Fifth, seek transition styles. When a brand improves the logo series, such as improving the movement, changing the material or increasing or decreasing the size, the last produced before the improvement is the transitional model, and the first produced after the improvement is usually welcomed by collectors. In some cases, the improved style has not changed much, and the style before improvement is a fine work.
6. Support self-produced movement. Many bloggers claim that there is no difference in whether the movement is self-produced, so is there any difference? Yes and no. how to say? If the relationship between the watchmaking brand and the relevant movement manufacturer is harmonious, then there is no problem, but this situation is rare. The movement and case are the design basis of each other, which is undoubtedly the most ideal, so that the maintenance service can be more clearly borne by the original manufacturer.
Seven, take fashion seriously. Five years ago, large-size models were considered the ultimate must-have. But now, the slim retro style is hot again. The simple size, carbon fiber case or rubber strap should not be the reason to judge whether the watch is worth starting, these factors can not guarantee the value itself.
8. Buy insurance for watch collections or buy a home safe. This way you will sleep better.
Girard Perregaux Ferrari gold chronograph, produced in 1997, estimated at 2,000-3,000 Swiss francs, sold for 5,625 Swiss francs
Breitling Canadian Air Force Chronograph, produced in 1973, estimated at 3,000-6,000 Swiss francs, sold for 4,000 Swiss francs
Nine, do not engraving on the back of the watch, or in any other way significantly change the appearance of the watch (such as inlaid gems). This may not be conducive to maintaining the value of the change, and manufacturers may refuse to provide services.
10. Finally, collecting watches and clocks should not be solely for investment. Some models will appreciate, but most will not. The true value of the watch lies in its unique characteristics. It is likely that your grandson will benefit, not you. I buy a watch because I like it from the bottom of my heart. Remember also that collecting four special models is better than collecting ten mediocre pieces.